Sunday 5 January 2014

Day 5

January 5th. Today was a pretty dreary day started with sunshine but that turned into cloudy and raining within seconds! We just spent the day relaxing, and will be ordering in pizza again for dinner!

As the wind was picking up this morning, Luke said, "well, it's a day.". To which I replied,  "yes, yes it is". And coincidentally as the sun started disappearing he continued by saying, "it's a day and we're still alive. It's a good day". Today's photo isn't too exciting but I took it once the sun began to come out from hiding. While it was hidden there was wind, rain and it was pretty cold! I wonder where I'd be if I didnt have Luke's jumpers to keep warm..! This is all a bit cliche but true. You can start off with a sunny morning, only to have it turn into pretty miserable weather in a matter of minutes. It may not apply every day, but today at least, it'll end up being a pretty nice afternoon once the rain goes away. I'm hoping you get my metaphor but I'll explain nonetheless!

We were living a pretty good life before the accident, beautiful house, about to buy a new car, comfortable with where we were. Then came the 'change of weather'. I don't remember much but there were a few weeks of uncertainty,  the first week especially.  I couldn't move much, couldn't talk, we didn't know  if this would be what it would be like forever. But eventually came the few rays of sunshine.  The first for me was when Luke was wheeled down to my room in ICU. This is my second memory post-accident, the first being becoming alert in the MRI not knowing what the hell was going on. The second I saw him and touched his hand I knew we'd be okay. They're some of the only memories I have of the first maybe 4 or 5 days until the breathing tube came out. Then came the first time I talked, being able to have a 'courtyard date' with Luke,  moving out of ICU, moving my pinkie for the first time, feeding myself a piece of bread, brushing my teeth, getting the feeding and oxygen tubes off! And that was in the first few weeks! Coming out to Hampstead, beginning to sit in a wheelchair,  finally getting rid of my pinless halo, and beginning therapies, the clouds began to disappear bit by bit. Trust me, there are bad days where from morning til night it's 'thunderstorms, cyclones', disasters everywhere when it seems like the sun has packed its bags for good. But somehow... I lie, I know how... with Luke right by my side reminding me of all the things I can and will do, as well as the support of my family and everyone around,  the sun starts to peek its rays out from behind the clouds, slowly revealing itself.

(That was a longer explanation than I intended!) I might be sitting down now with a bit less function in my hands, but there is so much potential ahead yet. I will always have Luke by my side, and we are still going to live the lives we planned, or even, better ones. It's a good day.


7 comments:

  1. You are a philosopher waiting to be discovered. Beautiful words as always

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this too Elise. Lovely analogy and we're praying for much mire sunshine than stormy weather for you going forward. However sometimes the storms cone and they help to strengthen our resolve to do even better when the sun shines again!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Elise! You're such an inspiration, and I look forward to being more inspired by you every day! Keep up the wonderful blogging x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle, I appreciate the support! x

      Delete
  4. Beautiful words Elise!
    Your story and how far you have come is truly inspiring and your words of love keeping you going is very touching.
    Keep pushing yourself, as we all know you have the strength in you to recover from this and to live the life you & Luke have dreamed of no matter the circumstance xx

    ReplyDelete