Friday 3 January 2014

Day 3

January 3rd. Today was just another day, but with one little achievement... I made it up the big 'kiosk' ramp! The photo does not do it justice, it is a monster of a ramp. I've made it halfway a couple times but today I conquered the whold thing!

At the end of physio I tried out the rugby chair for 5 minutes! It was hard work, the backrest was lower so seeing as I have very minimal ab muscles it was hard to sit. The wheels are angled on sports chairs for extra stability and it also makes steering easier.

My right leg is getting stronger, I can fully tap my foot now! And the major muscle that's working in my leg so far is the adductors, inside of my thigh, and I'm able to pull my leg inwards. It's hard to explain and a photo wouldn't be the most flattering(!) so try picture this... when I lie on my back, with my legs bent, feet together and knees falling out to the sides, my right leg naturally starts at maybe 30 degrees to the bed... but I can pull my knee up towards the middle about another 30 degrees! A little more and I might get it all the way up! It's not the most useful thing to be able to do, but until other muscles pick up their game it's pretty cool!

Here's a question to get you involved... when you think paralympics, what's your first sport you think of? And no you can't say rugby because I mentioned it! Although I must look up if that is actually in the paralympics or not! Think of a sport before you look at other comments (assuming people do comment!), then don't not answer just because someone else said it, and I'll tell you which sport I've been thinking about tomorrow! Please comment with your answer,  it only takes a second!

16 comments:

  1. athletics! :)
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the doco Murderball? That's what they call wheelchair rugby. It is brutal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen it yet but a few physios have mentioned it.. they call it murderball here but I thought that would raise eyebrows! There's actually training held here in the gym! They're on break at the moment but I will be checking it out when it starts again!

      Delete
  3. Wheelchair Basketball

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't there a Floor Hockey? (I think that I pick hockey because I am Canadian. LOL! )

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROWING, because immediately thought of basketball but that is taken, from Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mens and womens basketball. Cheers Vicki Lukins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Basketball. It looks a tough sport to play and very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Basketball - Marianne Wallis

    ReplyDelete