Sunday 19 January 2014

Day 19

January 19th. Really good news today!!! I can move my left leg a bit!!

I had another sleep in today, thought I might as well take advantage of the weekend! As I was lying in bed waiting to get up, I lifted my right knee a bit, or a lot actually! Then I tried my left leg as I always do and this time I wasn't sure if it was a little bit me actually doing something or just spasm still. Continued to get ready and get up for the day as usual. Luke and I headed to Rundle Mall today, which was an experience in itself. Firstly, how the heck was millions of dollars spent on the apparent 'upgrade'? In my opinion, like many others, it's boring, tasteless, lacking shade and was not worth getting rid of those vendors for. And again, some people don't seem to realise, I can't make my wheelchair any skinnier than it is in order to fit in the little gap you've left me. Or I can't pull up as quick as a walking person when you choose to stop in the middle of the walkway. And its not easy to navigate around you when you're too busy staring at your phone to realise there's a big wheelchair right next to you. Anyway! Back to the important stuff. We went to the R. M. Williams shop to have a look and after Luke looked at boots we saw a pretty sandal for me to try. So Luke pulled off my sock and shoe from my left foot and started to put the sandal on. Instinctively I tried to push my foot into it. And it pushed out a bit. We both noticed it. As Luke was holding my foot loosely we discovered I could push and pull my foot a little bit. It didn't last long as my muscles fatigued quickly. That didn't stop us from almost having a crying in joy session in the R. M. Williams shop! We headed out with smiles on our faces, went straight to Wendy's to get celebratory hot dogs and ice cream, and called my parents with the good news.

Next up we went to Lorna Jane, hoping that I could meet the girl who has served Luke every time he's gone shopping for me. We didn't see her unfortunately. But as we were there I couldn't not go shopping for myself! Looking at the tank tops we found a very suitable one - 'Stronger than yesterday' it said. Then we found one that almost made us crack up laughing but it wasn't in my size... 'run with your heart (not your legs)'...!!! Luke did an amazing job today because he walked unassisted the whole time at Rundle Mall, I'm very proud of him!

It was a wonderful day out, finished off with a visit from Kylie (one of my sisters) and Kale, who bought us in Red Rooster for dinner!


5 comments:

  1. awesome blog, awesome photo, awesome you!!!! xoxo
    oh and awesome Luke :) xoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are amazing. Little by little it is all happening for you. How do you get into Rundle Mall and TTP when you go? Just curious. Great news.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears of joy for you both from Qld. Praise to the big man!
    Loving your blog Elise.
    Take care Jodie M

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great Luke. You must have been very tired after that so hope you are not feeling too bad this morning. Now ELISE... GREAT STUFF. As for the not being able to stop quickly I reckon your grandpa could knock up a pretty good 'PEOPLE' bar for the front of the chair!! Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to read your blog as ever - it gets passed round the family here in Norfolk! Full of admiration for you both! love Richard and family

    ReplyDelete