Monday 11 August 2014

Here's to the end of one chapter and start of the next! Days 143 - 223

Well this is overdue... I've been meaning to post this for over a month now!! It's been a bit more than 7 months since I started this blog... I haven't posted anywhere near as much as I originally intended but it's been amazing to find out the amount of support we have and the corners of the world that this had reached. After 9 and a half months, 8 and a half of those being in Hampstead Rehabilitation Centre, I was officially discharged from being an inpatient on June 27th. Luke and I have now begun to settle down and build our lives together again. The month and a bit between my last post and being discharged has been very busy. I've still been staying at home on the weekends but have been able to escape to home for dinner some nights as well, almost being at home more than at Hampstead! I continued therapy as before with physio and gym, improving bit by bit but with no major milestones to report. My weights in gym have been increasing, my transfers have become independent with a slide board and getting closer to transferring by myself with no aid but it is now a matter of reinforcing all aspects of the technique and building up strength. I've almost mastered the wheel stand but need a bit more confidence!

The last month has been wonderful, not having to worry about going back and forth between home and Hampstead, finally having one 'home base'. Not to say that it has been any less busy though, between appointments, scheduled gym and physio sessions and trying to set things up exactly the way we like! Getting out to do little bits and pieces makes life seem a little busier as it is more involved than just jumping into the car and heading off!! All in all though it has been so nice to be able to be together rather than being forced to separate every night. 

In mid-July Luke had an epidural nerve block into his lower back to help the pain caused by two bulging discs and a tear in the nerve, the most magical thing happened at 5am the next morning.. Luke cuddled me and said "There's no pain. No pain." I think that's the happiest I've ever been at 5am!! He still has other pains but for that deep pain to have eased a little has been wonderful.

On July 30th I was able to celebrate making it to 21 years old, despite the close call eleven months ago! Luke and I had a relaxing day before sharing the evening with some of my family over dinner at the Watermark Hotel. Mum made a sponge cake as per my request(!) and I soon found out that my lung capacity isn't anything like it used to be, feeling slightly light-headed after trying to blow out 21 candles!

On the night of August 9th I was blessed to have many people join me to celebrate my birthday with a 1920s twist! With Luke's help, I organised the night at The Oakden Central, stressed about things being perfect right until the morning of the party... we were setting up and the cake was delivered. Made by the beautiful Steph, with her new business Confetti Cakes, this amazing 4 tier decorated mud cake exceeded all of my visions - it was beautiful! From that point I promised Luke I wouldn't stress about anything else because all that mattered was that I had him and my cake!!!! The night was incredible, my father gave a beautiful speech from him and Mum, everyone looked incredible and I was overwhelmed as always by the support we have. There will be more photos from the night to come, my wonderful friend Wil was the last-minute photographer for the night and he did an amazing job!

On a side note, watch this space for an update on an event being organized for early next year at home in Pinnaroo. Some wonderful members of the community are coming together to organise something so that those who wish to support Luke and I in some way, can do so. Thank you already to all who are, and who will be, a part of this!


9th August - my beautiful family all dressed up for my 21st party!

Thank you Steph - check out her website! www.confetticakes.com.au

30th July - attempting to blow out my 21 candles!

20th July - welcoming our friends from Arizona who now call Australia home! William liked helping me push, both from on my lap as well as from behind pushing me around!

How gorgeous is James!

30th May - Luke helping me to transfer in our own way... getting to stand for a hug in the process!


25th June - trialling a cross-trainer standing frame!

26th June - having one last walk on the TheraStride!


3rd June - holding a wheel stand all by myself!


30th May - celebrating my sister Kylie's birthday

3 comments:

  1. Happy 21st birthday Elise! You're gorgeous! I have been following your journey and am so grateful that you're here and doing so well. Sending lots of love to you and the rest of the family. Karina Fraser xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Elise. Wishing you a very happy 21st birthday. All the very best to you and Luke for your future together.
    Jodie Mitchels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that your birthday celebrations went so well. You guys are amazing.

    ReplyDelete